Thursday, January 7, 2010

A View From the Bridge

I can’t believe I’m seeing my first show of 2010. Ugh. This means I’m only a few months closer to the big Four-Oh! Someone get me a walker! Well, at least I’m going to limp into old age seeing some bona fide movie stars.

Scarlett Johansson gives a respectable, if mundane, Broadway debut. She’s no Meryl Streep (yet), but she was solid. Liev Schreiber was excellent, as usual. I think the culprit here is casting because Johansson and Schreiber, at least how they are being played / directed, seem close to the same age. So we’re missing the uncomfortable “older-guy-hitting-on-jailbait” squeamishness that would add some much needed dramatic tension to the proceedings. As is, it reads like just another soap opera, albeit set in the 1950’s. And Rodolfo just reads like some punk kid. You almost hope Catherine gets it on with Eddie instead. Or maybe that’s just me projecting - because that would make one hot, celebrity sex tape. You know you want to see it.

No comments:

"I'd rather be nine people's favorite thing thana hundred people's ninth favorite thing."

Jeff Bowen, Lyrics "[Title of Show]"