Tuesday, July 12, 2011

I'm getting old...

Is it strange that I hang out at the Beer Garden but drink Diet Coke?  I guess I never acquired the taste for beer.  Regardless, I found myself at the Beer Garden Sunday night to celebrate my friend Chris’ forty-mumble-mumble Birthday. 

It seems like just yesterday we were bemoaning our lost twenties and now, all of a sudden we’re in our forties!  Reality hit me hard as I entered the outdoor patio of the Beer Garden searching for Chris.  I scanned the tables of young, frat-y looking douchebags and spotted Chris.  But who were all those old people he was sitting with?  Upon closer inspection, I realized they were mutual friends of ours, all of whom are within my age range - give or take a couple of years.

Shit!  My peers are all old.  Which makes me…oh, dear God, I can’t think about it.  Those frat-y douchebags were probably wondering what gramps and his group from the nursing home were doing out so late on a Sunday night.  Depressed, I treated myself to some gastro-therapy by ordering the barbecue meat plate from the grill.  That’s a huge plate piled high with pickles, sauerkraut, french fries, bratwurst, spare ribs, kielbasa, grilled portabellos and about half a loaf of bread.  Don’t worry, I shared.

Three old men at the Beer Garden

No comments:

"I'd rather be nine people's favorite thing thana hundred people's ninth favorite thing."

Jeff Bowen, Lyrics "[Title of Show]"