Monday, January 7, 2013

Neutered “Cat…” and Benjamin Walker's lucky towel

Richard Rodgers Theatre
Saturday, Jan 5, 2pm performance

I didn’t think it was possible, but somehow the director of the latest Broadway revival of Cat On a Hot Tin Roof managed to reduce the oozing-with-sex Scarlett Johansson into a nagging, “Real Housewife of Atlanta.” 

I’m actually a ScarJo fan and Maggie seems like a perfect fit, but her performance here is…what’s the word? -- Brash?  Un-nuanced?  I mean, even with those big pouty lips and booty, other than her accent, there’s nothing remotely sexy or “Southern” about her characterization.  In fact (spoiler alert), if Brick is gay, he might actually be turned on by this steam-rolling Maggie.

Anyway, I think the play works better when Maggie uses her sexuality to manipulate her circumstances.  It makes her character more interesting.  And really, the play is called Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, not Badger on a Hot Tin Roof or Rabid Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.  As it stands, you wonder why Brick married her at all.  She seems like sort of a bitch.

Oh, to be Benjamin Walker’s towel.  It's amusing watching him try and nonchalantly “tuck” it around his privates anytime he sits down.  He seemed a bit under-energized in the first act but he grew on me as the play progressed.  It was a matinee, so I’ll throw him some slack.  Did I mention he looks good in a towel?

The director, Rob Ashford, is - surprise - gay!  No kidding - a de-sexualized Maggie, a shirtless Brick and an added “ghost of Skipper” character who Brick longingly stares at throughout the play.  It’s called “subtext” for a reason, folks.  Instead, we’re bludgeoned in the face with a pink sledgehammer.

For me, Ciaran Hinds and Debra Monk (Big Daddy and Big Mama, respectively) fare best in this revival, though Monk tends to lose her accent when she gets emotional.  The rest of the cast is adequate, but again, don’t seem the least bit “Old South.”  Having lived in Richmond, VA, which isn’t even considered the “Deep South,” I found not a whiff of recognition for any of these characters.  And trust me, I’ve known my fair share of manipulative, two-faced, Southern Belles/Bitches.

Sadly, I think this production is a missed opportunity.  On paper, the cast seems ideal, but I think the director has molded the performances in a way that doesn’t jibe with what’s on the page.  Oh well, it seems like Cat… gets revived every couple of years.  So I’m sure we’ll be getting the Selena Gomez-Justin Bieber production in 2015. 

No comments:

"I'd rather be nine people's favorite thing thana hundred people's ninth favorite thing."

Jeff Bowen, Lyrics "[Title of Show]"