Monday, June 24, 2013

Countdown to Pineda Summer Conservatory and Fausto with power tools

For many of you, being stuck in a cement room no bigger than your average movie theatre with a hundred excited, hormonal teens for five hours a day is the very definition of hell on earth.  For the Pinedas, it's just business as usual.

Granted, things have improved greatly since we finally got air conditioning installed in the theatre last summer.  I still think back fondly to those first few summers, watching cast members pass out on stage during performances in 90 degree heat while wearing twenty pound wool costumes.  Ah, the good old days.

Since our crazy conservatory schedule coupled with my 9-to-5 literally allows me no vacation time (the European cruise with the family 2 years ago was the first time in over four years that I had more than a long weekend off), I revel in the freedom of my three weeks working at the summer conservatory.  And by freedom I mean not having to check my email every five minutes and the luxury of wearing shorts and tank tops to work.

With the first day of classes beginning next Monday, we're in full panic mode with preparations (mainly the mental kind).  Last weekend, we spent a day in the theatre to get a head start on set building.  Yes, Fausto and power tools - a combination that must be seen to be believed.  I'm actually quite handy with a jigsaw, thank you very much.

To see my handiwork onstage (hint - that coral reef didn't grow itself) you'll have to check out Spotlight Theatre Program's production of Disney's The Little Mermaid Jr in a couple of weeks.

No comments:

"I'd rather be nine people's favorite thing thana hundred people's ninth favorite thing."

Jeff Bowen, Lyrics "[Title of Show]"